Monday, July 13, 2009

How does our garden grow?

Hey! Look at me and my clever nursery rhyme blog title. As I promised a while back, here are some pictures of the garden that I finally got around to taking today. First up: squash. You can see one of the actual squash(es?) emerging on this plant. We only planted 3 or 4 squash plants this year, because they do really well here and we were struggling to use up all our squash last year. Some kind of bean plant. Last year the birds and squirrels got to these before they even had a chance. Chad put chicken wire over pretty much everything in the garden this year until it had established and wasn't a little seedling anymore, so the plants were mostly able to withstand the animals.
Here's a further-away picture of the squash plants (top left), some sorghum (Chad planted "just to see if I could"), and some tobacco and okra, maybe? I am never sure what's what--and pretty much every time we're out in the garden I'm pointing to plants and asking Chad, "What's that? What's that?" He patiently explains every time. The tobacco (another thing Chad just wanted to see if he could grow, before any of you think we are actually using the stuff) has turned out to be a good pest controller. The leaves are sticky and attract whiteflies, which are our main pest out here. And boy are they pesty.
This is amaranth. Another thing that didn't "take" last year because of the animals. Chad orders seeds from this place in Arizona and he's always finding these odd seeds to order.
And the following pictures are what I would consider "my" plants...first up, the basil plants which are doing great. I used basil in my pizza sauce last week, and yum!
Two of my tomato plants are doing really well, and they are my favorite variety that I've planted, Celebrity. They are growing like crazy and starting to produce blooms...hopefully we'll have about a month where the plants actually produce tomatoes. Interspersed among the tomatoes are a few different pepper plants--serranos and jalapenos. They're doing well too.
In the back of the bed, we've got some melons going (notice the lattices) and in the back alley (not pictured) we've got mint, thyme, and strawberry, and a honeysuckle plant which already smells great. Honestly this will probably be the last garden post from me, since I'm bad enough about it as it is and this blog is most likely going to become all baby, all the time pretty soon (which I'm sure some of you are not complaining about).
Speaking of...here is a picture of me in all of my 38+ weeks of swollen pregnant glory. I am feeling better than I felt a few days ago, maybe because my body has once again somewhat adjusted to the 7 or so pounds of person inside my stomach. I know y'all are excited to meet the little one, and believe me, I can't wait to introduce him.

4 comments:

davemaz said...

How cute!

I knew tobacco was supposed to be a pest control measure, but where do you get seeds? Do you have drying racks built in the garage? Maybe you can qualify for an agricultural subsidy.

I sure think this is an opportunity for you and Chad to get your coveralls, your pitchfork and your chicken and do a re-make of American Gothic.

Lesley said...

Dad, I think you might be on to something. I know that land used for agriculture gets a valuation break, so maybe our real estate taxes would go down. I should really check on that.

Love the picture idea...I'll see if I can put that together. :)

Lesley said...

Oh yeah, Chad orders the seeds from a place in AZ called Native Seeds.

The Montandon's said...

You can dry the mature tobacco leaves and soak them in water to make a potent insecticide that is totally organic.