I am taking a break from facebook. You won't be able to find me on there. I deactivated my account, which means I have to physically log back in to show up again in people's friends lists. Facebook is a great tool to keep in touch with my family and friends from all different points in life, but lately I'm just sick of it. You may ask why I don't just stay off of it, and keep my account active. Well, that is a little too tempting for me. I had a nasty little habit of checking it a few times a day, just to make sure I didn't miss anything, and always wanting to see what comments people were making on a status or who posted on my wall. Unfortunately, most of what I wasn't missing was complaining about unimportant stuff, pictures or speech that I didn't want to see, people checking in to every place they ever go, etc. And then there was the app on my iphone that I had access to all the time. So I deactivated to allow myself more self-control and more time in the day and deleted the app from my phone. In the past 24 hours since I left facebook, there have been a few times I have wanted to send someone a message or update my status, but it's never very important. Overall, I really don't miss it.
Some scriptures I have been meditating on that led to me being off of facebook for a while:
"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children without fault in a warped and crooked generation." Philippians 2:14-15
"Let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29
"Be very careful, then, how you live, not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15-16
Facebook is not a problem for everyone, but I was finding myself lacking self-control with the amount of time I spent on it, and the posts I was reading even from some of my Christian facebook friends were preventing me from thinking about things that were true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy (Phil. 4:8). I wonder how many out there are like me. For now, I'll be spending my time on other things and will try to post more to the blog so family and faw-away friends can keep up with us and see pictures of Ezra and our newest little one in just a few months. And, be sure to check back here to find out in a month or so if we're having a boy or a girl, if you're interested.
That's it for now. Stay tuned for a post about Ezra's 2nd birthday, which was yesterday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
a good thing - except I like to keep up with all my old friends from Navy days, and I doubt they'd read my blog (and I haven't been the best poster). I agree, though - sometimes I just turn away from the computer exhausted over the negativity. I admire your discipline.
Great post, Lesley.
Dad, I am the same way--I keep up with lots of people via facebook, and that is pretty much the only way. That is one of the reasons that this is hard, but sometimes you have to sacrifice some good to get rid of the bad. I'll get back on fb after a while, and I'll still be able to keep up with everyone.
Post a Comment