Monday, September 14, 2009

My week in food part II and first weigh-in

I'm just going to start off with the best news, and that is that I lost five pounds this week! Yay!

Now, on to what we ate for dinners the past week and a half or so...
Chicken stew with biscuits...this is a Barefoot Contessa recipe, and it was pretty much chicken pot pie. I baked the biscuits separately because I hate mushy biscuit bottoms on top of anything, and it wouldn't be good as leftovers. It was pretty good, but not one of Chad's favorites (too reminiscent of something with cream of chicken soup in it, not that this lady would ever put that stuff in one of her recipes). Left out the frozen peas because I really don't like frozen peas. Also, too many leftovers. We like to have maybe leftovers one time and then move on.
Bacon macaroni & cheese...This was pretty good. I messed up the cheese sauce in the first batch, so I had to make a second batch. Probably wouldn't make it again. Reminded me of a bacon pasta recipe I have in a Southern Living cookbook that Chad really likes, only not as good. Also too many leftovers.
Oven-fried chicken parmesan...good and very easy. I used Ragu parmesan romano spaghetti sauce for the sauce, and chicken tenderloins instead of breast halves. We ate this up quickly. I would probably season the panko crumbs a little bit next time; they were kind of bland.
Pan-fried pork chops and applesauce...this is what we are having tonight, so I'll come back and let you know.
Grilled pork chops...these were really good. I made the barbecue sauce and simmered it for maybe 20 minutes before marinating the pork chops in it for maybe an hour. The recipe calls for much longer times. We actually did marinate a couple of the pork chops for longer and cooked them a day later, and I couldn't tell the difference between those and the ones that had been marinated for a short amount of time. Also, I replaced the apple cider vinegar with white vinegar due to Chad's strong aversion to anything that smells like or contains apple cider vinegar. Substitution was fine. I highly recommend this recipe.

And before you think all we eat is pork chops, it's been a good week and a half since we had the grilled pork chops. Totally an appropriate time lapse for another round of pork chops.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Well, she might use a "good" cream of chicken soup. Congrats on the 5 lbs gone.