As I was driving to work today, I heard a request for an NKOTB song. That's New Kids on the Block for those of you who were not born in the late '70s/early '80s. And it was not one of those flashback things where they play old stuff like "Hangin' Tough" or "Please Don't Go Girl." It was a new song. I was aware that NKOTB was getting back together, since I saw them the other day on "The Today Show." I think they're performing tomorrow on that show for those of you who are able to see it. But I have to say, this new song stunk. Sorry NKOTB, I will not be going to any concerts on your reunion tour, even though I used to be the proud owner of one of your tapes and also a button with all of your pictures on it. I am interested to see if their concerts are populated with 20- and 30-somethings or screaming little 13-year-old girls who like their new stuff. That's kind of creepy, since they're probably in their 40s by now.
Also, I heard from a friend that I used to teach with at my last school that their graduation is the 22nd. That's a whole week earlier than we're done. This is the only time all year that I've been jealous of them. Other than that, I love my job. And speaking of jobs...my principal just told me that he'll be coming in to observe me next week. The last week of the year is not the greatest time to observe teachers or students, because everyone is pretty much done. So that should be interesting. He's come in a lot this year to see what we are doing, so I feel confident, but it's always nerveracking when your superior is observing you.
I had the worst dream last night. I was flying from Lubbock to Austin, and before I boarded the plane to Austin, I left all my carry-on luggage at the terminal. This included my wallet and everything. Anyway, they wouldn't stop the plane, and I landed in Austin with nothing, so I couldn't rent a car or take a plane back. Couldn't call anyone because I didn't have my cell phone. Then I woke up, glad that it was just a dream. Then when I went back to sleep, it continued. Don't you hate that? Anyway, I was back in the Lubbock airport, but it was one of those things like in that movie "Labyrinth" where I could see my luggage on some other escalator or staircase, but then when I went over there it had moved. Anyway, very unsettling, but also eerily accurate to my plans this weekend. And please refrain from telling me what this might mean subconsciously. It's probably some serious mental problem, but I'm just going to say I have a severe fear of not making it to the airport on time and missing my plane. I get that from my mom. Chad always laughs at me because I like to be at the airport so early and I always double-check to make sure we have everything we need, but have we ever even been close to missing a flight because of bad traffic or oversleeping? No.
Well, that's it for this post, which I'll subtitle "Multiple references to '80s and '90s pop culture." Aren't you glad I didn't mention David Bowie's horrendous clothing and hair in "Labyrinth"? Oh wait, I just did. Have a good Thursday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
(1) They will have to change the name of the band to OMOTB. (old men, if that's not obvious)
(2) Reminds me of my dreams every year before Bible Bowl. I always forgot to make copies of the test and there was no copier available.
Or "NCFOMOTB." Meaning No Country for Old Men on the Block. But they don't do country, anyway. See you next weekend!
Post a Comment