Monday, April 16, 2007

Denise's nature walk



We went to the Watson Woods riparian preserve trail near Watson Lake in the Prescott city limits. It is a very flat and leisurely trail. The day was beautiful with the weather being partly cloudy with intermittent times of needed a light jacket to being fine in a t-shirt. The fauna here is not as diverse as some places but it is very accessible and is one of the few places that has some water. Here are some pics of what I found.




I took a field guide so that Denise can develop a deeper relationship to her surroundings by knowing her native plants by name.

















Of course, one must familiarize themsleves with their field guide in order to extract the maximum value.




Me by a Quaking Aspen------
















Whipple Cholla Cactus--the only cactus I saw in the entire area! That fruit that has just began to form will turn into beautful yellow blooms.


Lesley laying on the trunk of a formerly HUGE tree. Even this picture doesn't do justice to the size of it.









This is Denise (use your imagination) indentifying a Box Elder tree's stages of new leaf growth.




























Coyote Willow Gooding Willow


3 comments:

emma said...

Okay I think this post definately says to me that it's time to start your own blog on letting other live vicariously through you. I loved going on the nature hike with ya'll just then, love the pictures of chad looking like he's studying and now I don't have to exercise today since I just went on a walk. I loved it! We miss ya'll to pieces! I want us to all go on a nature walk together!!!

Denise said...

I had such fun on my nature walk. It was just right for an out of shape asthmatic person. And I burned just enough calories so that the big plate of Mexican food that I ate didn't pack on any extra pounds.

Emily said...

I also enjoyed the walk. I have a new one for you. I would really like to be able to take a relaxing nap outside on a blanket or in a nice comfy hammock. Do you think that you can arrange that for me. I really need it today since I did not sleep much the last two nights. Thanks for the help.