Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The weekend, making baby food, teeth

This weekend Ezra and I drove to my mom's house and Ezra stayed with Granny while I spent the weekend with some friends to celebrate my friend Sara's upcoming wedding. Ezra had a great time, and I don't think he tired my mom out too much. I didn't get any pictures of the two of them together, but Erin & the kids came over and I got this picture of Kellen, Ezra and Bonnie. They love posing for pictures:
Ezra has become a pro at moving around in his walker. He can walk forward, backward, turn, etc. to get to where he wants to go. Here he is after realizing that he can open the cabinets in my mom's kitchen:
Changing subjects...I have started making my own baby food, for the sole reason that I just don't want to spend the money for store-bought food. I thought it would be complicated, or take a lot of time, so in case any of my friends out there are interested in making food for their babies, here's what I do.

1. Cook the food. I research how to cook whatever it is to preserve the most nutrients. Here, I've baked a couple of sweet potatoes. I also use frozen veggies and fruits if they're not in season (edited to add: it is really important that you cook produce to kill e.coli. In the case of the blueberries below, I boiled them to get them soft before I pureed them).
2. Blend the food (with a little added water) to desired consistency. Here, I've pureed some blueberries. Obviously I didn't hold the lid down tightly enough. Usually I don't make this big of a mess--I just happened to do it with blueberries on my white countertops.3. Pour purees into ice cube trays, freeze, and store in freezer bags. Below I've got peas and corn, ready to be heated up and eaten.
4. Feed baby. (We're back to blueberries now. This kid has liked every food I have offered him, except bananas.). It is so easy and hardly takes any time at all, unless you have to bleach your counters after blowing up blueberries in your blender. :) I calculated that I'll be saving about 2/3 the cost of what we were spending on commercial baby food, so about $30-40 a month.

This last picture was taken this afternoon during a tough time for Ezra. He cried off and on all afternoon and never took more than a 30-minute nap until he finally went to sleep tonight. He would stick his entire fist in his mouth and just chew. I think he'll be getting more teeth soon. One just broke through on the top, so I imagine the one next to it is close behind.

3 comments:

erin said...

Hey Ezra, let's play Peek-a-Boo again soon! Love, Aunt Erin

Monica Higgins said...

I need to learn more about this homemade baby food thing. If it involves saving money, I am all about it.

Lesley said...

Monica, you should have come over tonight. I made a huge batch of sweet potatoes, squtternut baush (HAHA!), and carrots. It is not only does it save money, it's SUPER easy and doesn't really take all that much time. The website I use the most is www.wholesomebabyfood.com. It is very helpful.