This weekend was filled with "firsts" for me. Chad went to the cabin with a couple of friends to get the deck railing finished, so I was on my own with our almost-4-week old all weekend. It was good to get over that little milestone of caring for our child all by myself, especially since Chad is such a HUGE help around the house and with Ezra--possibly more help than the average husband (not an insult to the other husbands out there, but a big compliment to mine). I was able to prove to myself that I could do it (with quite a bit of help from some good friends...). Also, can I just say that I have a HUGE respect and admiration for parents who are the sole caregivers for their children? What an awesome, exhausting experience...I was ready to pass the kiddo off the minute Chad got back home so I could have just a little break. Anyway, everything went pretty smoothly. We ran a few errands, including our first trip together to the grocery store and our first trip to Target by ourselves. Ezra is still not a fan of riding in the car (understatement), which my mom says is a direct trait from me. Here is the look I get when I put him in his seat, right before I strap him in and he starts crying hysterically:

Every once in a while if he's JUST been fed, is not in the least bit tired, and the stars are otherwise aligned, he will not cry. But most of the time when we get in the car, he cries the entire time and the minute we get to where we're going I get him out and hold him he is fine. So I have found the best accessory to have when running errands is my sling. I can put him in it by myself (unlike the Ergo carrier--haven't figured out how to do that one alone yet) and he falls right to sleep. Then my hands are free and I am free to shop in peace. Plus, no lugging around a big old carseat or having it take up most of my cart. I am determined, however, not to avoid leaving the house or going places because my child cries in his carseat. I think staying at home all the time would make me even crazier than the crying does.

Here's a cute photo I took of Chad and Ezra right after Chad got home yesterday. I love the way Ezra is looking up at him and studying him: "I think I might know you." In these photos, especially the first one, you can also see where Ezra is losing a lot of his hair. He has male pattern baldness, with a little ducktail in the back. Some might call it a mullet. So I guess he's going to lose it all, which I wish would go ahead and happen. He is so adorable, but the poor thing looks like an old man with his eyebrow wrinkles and receding hairline. I wonder what color his hair is going to be when it comes back in.

So today is the first day of school for pretty much everyone I know. It was really weird not getting ready last night to get up this morning and start a new year. Instead I spent the night waking up to feed my baby, sleeping till 10 (after waking up a bunch of times, so don't be too jealous), mopping the floors in my house, and spending time with Chad and Ezra. Quite the change from my usual schedule up until now. It's 4:15 right now--I would just be getting out of school if I was still teaching. Who knew the day would go by so fast? Last night I told Chad that I was really looking forward to today after the weekend being so busy with church, errands, a wedding shower that I helped host, etc. Odd when your weekdays are more relaxed than your weekends. I think I can honestly say that this is the first Monday EVER that I have looked forward to. I'll stop going on and on just to say that I feel so blessed to be able to spend this time with my child and husband and that life is really really good.
So tomorrow my baby will be 4 weeks old. Time has really flown! We are ready to get back into some sort of normalcy in life, and I am ready to get back into my clothes. I know it will take a while but it's getting old wearing maternity clothes, and even some of those are too small or too big. So I am getting a jogging stroller to take Ezra on my walks and runs, and I will be joining Chad's gym soon. I go in for my 6-week checkup just two weeks from now, and once my doctor gives me the okay, I will be upping the workout regimen. Speaking of weight, we did an informal weighing of Ezra today, and he weighs almost 9 1/2 pounds! I couldn't believe it. But I knew he was feeling heavier.
**Attention: Do not read this next paragraph if you don't want to read about baby poop. You have been warned.** This is changing the subject a bit, but I know some of you out there will be able to help me...tell me what you do to get baby poop stains out of clothes. Yes, my little dear has had 3 blowouts in the past few days--two at church and one at the wedding shower. Really looking forward to starting those cloth diapers and hoping they contain things better. My apologies to those of you who do not want to read about baby poop, but you were warned.
And finally, here is another video of Ezra just playing on that little mat he has. I thought the grandparents/aunts & uncles would enjoy.
That's it for now. Who else can't wait for the crispy fall weather to get here?
11 comments:
It's sad that I know all those tunes by memory and began humming them as I watched the video. Elle and Ava had toys with those songs. He's a handsome devil.
I know. I lay awake at night because I can't get those stupid songs out of my head. Oh well, he likes it, and at least I can turn it on "low" volume and barely hear it.
Thanks for the detailed update. Is it the Maya Wrap that you're using?
I think Ezra gets cuter every day.
You have to sing the "ABC" song when Ezra is in his carseat.
Yes, Erin, that's the one I'm using. It's really comfortable and fairly light temperature-wise...another reason I haven't used the Ergo carrier much yet. It makes me hot even when I'm just in the house.
Thanks for the advice, mom, I'll try that, since other songs haven't seemed to work. Is that what worked with me? P.S. sorry I cried in my carseat.
Yes, that worked for you--most of the time. Try singing the same song ("ABC" or whatever) every time you change his diaper. Sometimes, when they hear a familiar song again it's distracting. For a couple of minutes.
He's adorable, and getting cuter every time you publish photos. And Shout (or any good enzymatic detergent) should work well.
Should, but doesn't.
We would use Oxy Clean and had a lot of success with it. I would usually soak it in a little bucket of water over night (cold water-not hot).
He is a cutie! Have you moved him up to a size 1 diaper yet? I know as my kids began to out grow their diapers they started having more blowouts. I also had luck with soaking in oxy clean overnight.
I don't know about poop removal, but I do know we have the best looking grandson in the entire world!
Papaw
Post a Comment