Thursday, June 05, 2008

Last day of work

Well, I'm up at work for the last day until I come back in August. That's a nice feeling! It's been a pretty laid-back week, and I've come and gone plenty because of all the errands I've needed to run (most of them were work-related). Today on my agenda, among other things, is to order white boards for my room to replace the chalkboards. I really, really, really hate chalk and using chalkboards. It's so messy and hard to read and it feels like a lot of work to write with chalk. And yes, I am being whiney. Thanks for noticing.

Remember a couple days ago I mentioned that I was going to go buy some tomato plants and pepper plants? Well, I did. I bought 4 roma plants, 4 beefmaster, and 4 jalapeno plants. I wanted serranos too but the two places I went had already sold out of serranos. Anyway, I picked the hottest day so far to buy the plants-I think it got up to 103 that day-and waited until the evening to plant them. The jalapenos are fine, but the tomatoes don't look good at all. The only one that looks decent is the one I've been growing from seed, and the only explanation I can think of for that is that my plant had time to harden out in the heat and the other plants were in a greenhouse and not used to the heat. So, by the end of the day the last couple days, the tomato plants have been totally wilted. I have given them plant food, and watered in the evening, and yesterday I mulched them to keep their roots cool. I researched a little bit about why tomatos might wilt during the day and then pick up at night, and a couple places said that it's from some type of fungus, but I haven't even had them long enough, I don't think, to have developed this fungus. I just think it's too hot for them. We've had 3 or so days in a row of highs over 100, but today it's "only" getting up to 95 or 96 and will be even cooler the rest of the week, so maybe that will help them perk up a little bit. Now, I just hope I didn't make them mold by watering in the evening and then mulching over it. So if any of you have any suggestions about how to grow tomatoes or what I'm doing wrong, your suggestions are welcome. And don't tell me to go buy some at the grocery store. I don't want salmonella, thanks.

Chad and I have about 10 more days until we leave for Hawaii. I have already made a few reservations to do stuff, like a helicopter ride, a snorkeling/lava cave tour, and tandem parasailing. We also plan on doing some hiking as well. I think we'll have internet while we're there so I'll bring my laptop and try to blog while we're there.

That's about it for now. And remember to leave suggestions about growing tomatoes, if you have any.

1 comment:

davemaz said...

Mmmmm - Salmonella! Maybe your next project can be learning the pasteurization process for night-soil/manure? Probably a kit you can buy plans for in Compost Times. ;)