Monday, January 29, 2007

The irony has not escaped me...

...that schools in Texas (even southeast Texas, elevation 1/2 inch) were closed last week, some for days, because of snow, ice, and other abnormal winter conditions. Was it cold here? Yes, in the single digits. Did WE get snow days? No...we are called the "high desert" for a reason, and the precip passed us by. But we ARE high, and they keep saying there's a good chance of snow in the "higher elevations," "high country," etc. on the news. I looked at the weather, and for this week we have three days of a 60% chance of snow.

If any of you know me well, you know I love a snow day just as much as any of my students. Chad and I have interesting reactions to the snow: when it snows, I don't go to work, and I am happy. When it snows or is icy and he goes to work, they can't do anything, and he is not happy. Well, Chad works two days this week, and both of these days it is supposed to snow...so I guess we will be keeping our fingers crossed for different reasons.

Please don't remind me of Murphy's Law and the fact that if I really want it to snow badly enough, it won't. Also, please don't remind me that I used to refer to Murphy's Law as Newton's Law, which is in fact something entirely different and actually scientific. This mix-up is proof positive that teenagers do NOT know everything.

One more thing...two blog entries in one day dictates that there will probably not be much blog activity later in the week, so I don't want you guys to get disappointed at the lack of random thoughts.

Happy birthday to Emily, Bonnie, and Matt B., who all had birthdays in the past 7 days. That's it for now!

4 comments:

emma said...

As a christian I should rejoice when you rejoice so I'm really excited that ya'll have a good chance of snow! Wish I was there.

The Montandon's said...

Isn't Texas weather strange?

Joey said...

you're funny, lesley. i never heard of murphy's law till now. i've always known about fig newtons, though. they're not cookies you know.

davemaz said...

Hmm - Newton's law. Isn't that related to how hard the apple falls? and maybe whether it's overripe or not?