I think I know what it's like to get old. One day, you're doing your thing, driving, going to the store, running errands with ease, and then one day, BOOM. You can't do those things anymore. I had this discovery today about myself. I ran a few errands this morning before going to the grocery store for what I thought was a typical grocery trip. About halfway through the store, the cart became unbearably difficult to push and every turn required a huge amount of effort. Of course I chose to go to Wal-Mart today where they are huge proponents of American Individualism (YOU unload your groceries onto the belt, YOU load the grocery sacks back into the cart, YOU load your car). I usually shop at the United a few blocks away where they do all that for you. Well, 5-or-6 month pregnant Lesley wouldn't have thought anything of loading a few groceries into my cart and bringing them into the house, but 7+ month pregnant Lesley realized today that she can't do that anymore.
By the time I had come home and unloaded the car I had only enough energy to put the cold stuff away. Everything else is still just sitting on the counters, waiting for me to get a second wind. So, lesson(s) learned: 1. Plan grocery trips around when Chad is not working or sleeping, and take him with me next time. 2. Don't go to Wal-Mart, where the lady still charged me $3.86/lb for tomatillos even though the sign above them clearly said $2/lb. (and do you think I had the energy at that point to argue or talk to customer service? Nope.) It's totally worth it to pay a few extra bucks to get someone to load your car for you and take the cart back in, because even 7+ month pregnant Lesley is not willing to leave her cart in between two cars instead of putting it in the cart return. That's just rude, people. 3. Don't buy groceries during the summer. Too hot.
So, there are my lessons learned for the day. I wonder what's in store for me tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm just thankful you had enough energy left to blog about it.
WELCOME TO MOTHERHOOD! :) Thanks for the laugh!
It's why I like Brookshire's. Nice young men push your cart out, unload it for you and push it back in. Totally worth the high prices. I have to say though, that I've been pregnant and I've been (am) old, and old is worse.
I am cracking up!! I hate going to WalMart, but it is a neccessary evil. And I am a cruddy cart magnet, they always seem to be the ones i get, and by the time I am done shopping, I am silently cursing their existence.
I know! It's so annoying that they are the ONLY store that has pretty much everything you need all in one place. I really just need to learn that when I go to Wal-Mart, it needs to be early in the morning before the herds of people start showing up.
Post a Comment