Well, the official countdown is 11 more school days until the year is over. So, I have once again begun to start packing up my stuff in my classroom. The last time I did this it was different. I was moving to another teaching position, so naturally, I needed to take all of my teaching stuff (turn-in trays, posters with "inspirational" sayings, etc.) with me so I would have them at my new job. But now, I am not going to another teaching job. In fact, I'm not going to any job at all except to my house. So everything has become this big dilemma of whether I should keep it or not. I realize I don't need my turn-in trays or inspirational posters, but what about if/when I go back to teaching? Where will I be? What will I be teaching? Where am I going to put all this stuff until then? Do I really want to start all over again collecting materials if I decide to leave everything here for the next person?
So in the past, when I packed up my belongings, I've just thrown everything into a box to be dealt with later, because I'm sure I'll need it eventually. This time, I'm not so sure. Everything is a big WHAT IF????? I think, WHAT IF, 8 or so years from now, I think back to this handout I threw away instead of keeping?
I had no idea when I came to work today and decided to start cleaning out my stuff that my day would be full of so many decisions. So far, I've packed three tubes of hand lotion, three books, and some yarn. I did finally throw away two lesson plan units I wrote my senior year in college. Forgot I had those.
Sometimes typing out my thoughts on a blog can be so therapeutic. I have realized through all this fretting, that there is no way I will ever be able to find a handout that I once used. I mean, I just threw away notes from a media writing class that I took in college that have been sitting on my classroom bookshelf for two years that I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW I HAD. So I guess the moral of the story is if I've forgotten by now that I have it, I'm not going to ever use it, so I should get rid of it.
Thanks for talking me through it, blog readers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I can't wait to see all the suggestions you get on this one.
I like your former solution. Throw everything in a box--or lots of boxes--and deal with it later. That's what your grandparents and great grandparents did and I made two really great scrapbooks with all those papers. Just don't store the boxes in a barn or an attic unless you want mouse droppings and insect parts mixed in when you open everything up.
If you want to organize now, go to Office Depot and get hanging file boxes and hanging files and just start labeling and filing.
P.S. I also volunteer for organizing duty sometime during June or July. It couldn't be any worse than the time we packed up your room before we moved from the house on Picket Rope after you graduated and then you were going to Blue Haven and then to A&M and we had to divide all your worldly possessions including clothes into boxes labeled "apartment", "camp", and "college".
I have one big Rubbermaid tub of teaching stuff. I'm not even sure what's in there, but we keep moving it. For what it's worth.
Wait...did I ask for suggestions? Oops. I didn't mean to.
Oooohhh... Sorry...
Well...I have a suggestion but I don't think I will leave it now :) just kidding - good luck packing
Okay, you know how sometimes you write a blog post and put a lot of time into it and you think all these people are going to respond and no one does, and then sometimes you write one and think it's no big deal but you get all these comments? This post falls into that second category. So, all I'm sayin', is that I didn't expect any suggestions or realize I was even asking, it was really more just a random way to pass the time (instead of actually having to clean out my stuff). Mom, I will take you up on the organizing, although I bet it will be more difficult than the last time because now we have all Chad's stuff too. And from now on, I will just expect to get suggestions when I write a post about organizing, packing or throwing away. I really should know better.
Oh, boy. Organizing project.
I am going 6th session. I think he still needs teachers you aren't going back to school bring the little one and come on!!! We can hike Barrillas together!! like the old days, "HIIIIIILLLLL" The green pants are about equivalent to the purple wind pants by the way. Oh and yeah Karlee is coming with me to camp that is my 3 year old niece!! (well she will be 3 by then)
Hey, Lesley, I'll tell you what I'll do - I WON'T offer suggestions! I'll sympathize, utterly - I've still got boxes from the 80's that haven't been unpacked. BTW, I've found some neat surprises in all that (old photo with a saxophone in very tidy white overalls and horn-rimmed glasses!). I'm still looking for the slide rule.
Post a Comment