Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Josh would be proud

On second thought, he probably would be embarrassed. This morning was the annual faculty vs. students basketball game, which is a fundraiser for United Way. Our assistant principal asked me probably three times to play before I finally said I would (only because he was really desperate for female faculty volunteers). The way it works is that the female teachers play the female students for two quarters and the male teachers play the male students. I think I was one of two, total, faculty members who was not a coach. But, I did score a total of two points during the two seasons I played private league basketball in 7th and 8th grade, so someone probably heard about my awesome skills and insisted that I be on the team. There were six women playing which means I had to play most of the time. It was tiring! Anyway, here is a picture of me playing some awesome defense. And just in case it doesn't LOOK awesome, I want everyone to know that the girl students didn't score on us once. And the faculty beat the students by over 20 points.

As much as I was dreading it, it was actually pretty fun, and News Channel 11 was there so for those of you who live here, watch for us on "I Beat Pete" on the 10 o'clock news either tonight or Friday.
Feel free to critique my form Coach Jones. I noticed in the picture this girl is looking at me like I'm a crazy person, but I think she's really just worried that she can't get the ball past me.

11 comments:

emma said...

I love it! Way to go Lesley! You are awesome.

erin said...

My favorite part is the kneepads. Did you do a lot of diving for loose balls? Were there hairpulling and fingernails involved? Hey, if it's worth playing, it's worth winning.

Lesley said...

No, the kneepads were just to be dumb. One of my students let me borrow them. Basically it was just so I would look even more awesome.

davemaz said...

. . .and I was so PROUD of those two points! Looks like you were outfitted at "KneePads and MORE" . . . /

Shawn said...

AWWWWWWESOOOOOOOOME!!!!!

Amy said...

The knee pads...ha ha ha...I am glad you had fun!

Denise said...

I gotta get some of those knee pads. The next time I fall down because I step on a cat toy it won't hurt so much.

Amanda said...

That was hilarious!!... now, hopefully they will ask you to play in the faculty vs. student volleyball game... just remind them that you were "most Improved" :)

Unknown said...

i was gonna say something about the knee pads...but EVERYONE beat me to it.

Lesley said...

I feel like I should explain again that everyone playing in the game was wearing stuff like that to be dorky.

Josh said...

You called down the thunder, you got it!

Okay, you must first realize that there are contrasting opinions on how to play defense. For some, your current positioning is fine. In my system, allowing the offensive player to go to the middle is unacceptable; while you are not in ideal position, it's not bad. Your stance appears to be decent, although I'd rather my players be on the balls of their feet rather than flat-footed like you are, as it allows for quicker movements. However, you are extending your hands into the passing lanes, making it difficult for your opponent to either pass or get off a shot. I do have to question your choice in footwear. Running shoes on the basketball floor? Tisk, tisk.