I have decided, after watching my favorite cooking shows over the past few years and more in recent weeks, that I could have a cooking show. It seems that you just need to memorize a few phrases and use them a lot. Here is what I would say...over and over again:
1. Be sure to scrape up all the brown bits in the bottom of the pan, because that is where all the flavor is.
2. You might be surprised that I am adding salt to (fill in the blank, but usually some kind of dessert), but the salt will just bring out the flavor and really make the flavors brighter.
3. Make sure and squeeze the (lemon/lime/orange/grapefruit) with the cut side up so you don't get seeds in whatever you are making.
4. (Takes bite of whatever I just made and then describes the texture and flavor of every individual ingredient)
5. Arugula is peppery and has a bite. Cumin is smoky. Paprika is sweet, unless you get the smoky kind. Ricotta is light and creamy and makes your baked goods more moist (as does plain yogurt). Every specific food seems to have one adjective the chefs prefer to use to describe it, especially if it might be unfamiliar to the viewer.
Recently I've even started hosting my own cooking show in my kitchen. Chad is my audience, but he doesn't really pay attention. Today he told me he didn't like it when I did that, although I think he secretly likes me to give him a step-by-step of everything I make.
My heart really goes out to all those people who are without power and homes after the hurricane. I was supposed to fly down to Houston next week to see Erin and the family and to see my new niece for the first time, but I'm not going now. Here are pictures of the town that Erin and Josh live in. It looks like Liberty got hit pretty hard. She told me earlier today that they think they will be without power for another week. They're at mom's right now, and my flight went through Dallas both ways, so I just kept my ticket and will just fly the Lubbock to Dallas leg next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Why not? You'd be a welcome break from Rachel.
The pictures were interesting - particularly ironic was the damaged Farm Bureau sign that said "For all your insurance needs." Any big damage from the Lubbock flood?
I will be happy to come be your audience anytime! Let me know when you are on the air.
Post a Comment