Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Today was take-your-wife-to-work day at the hospital Chad works at. Only no one else knew about it, and Chad was the only one who brought his spouse, and he was a patient instead of an employee. Yeah. Late last night Chad started to get really sick, and I was kind of hoping (and not hoping at the same time, for pride reasons) that it was food poisoning from last night's dinner--not one of my best efforts. So I woke up early this morning to run to the store and grab all the essentials--Gatorade, Saltines, 7-Up, you get the idea. I came home to drop off the stuff and went to work. I hated leaving Chad, but there's not much one can do to help an adult when they have a bad stomach bug except to stay out of the way. Well, I got one call from him around 10:00 saying that he hadn't been able to keep anything down of the few sips of Gatorade and 1 1/2 crackers he had eaten. Then, a little over an hour later, Chad calls to tell me that he thinks I'd better come get him and take him to the hospital. Not a great sign when a medical professional admits they need to be taken to the hospital. We get to the ER and they admit him really quickly, and take blood work and an x-ray, and give him a liter of I-V fluids, since by this point he's quite dehydrated. I just feel sorry for the guy, because he hasn't been able to keep anything down but at the same time is extremely thirsty and can't differentiate between hunger and stomach pains, so he's cautious about trying to eat anything at all now. After giving him the I-V fluids, the doctor wrote him a prescription, and 4 hours later, we are home and Chad is asleep. Thankfully the drugs made him drowsy and he's able to get some sleep after being up pretty much all night last night. They said all his blood work was normal, so it is just a bad case of stomach flu. Still, not much fun. He's feeling better now, and hasn't gotten sick in a few hours at this point. So hopefully we are on the downhill of this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Okay, as a person who has suffered on numerous occasions from such ailments--although I never had to go to the hospital--I can thoroughly sympathize. My first action is always to make a list of all the not-at-home places I ate at over the last couple of days and never darken their doors again. As an aside, when Chad can keep something down, sipping regular Coke always helped me.
Yuck. Hope Chad feels better soon.
sorry that the bring your spouse to work day was so lousy...maybe chad will get his act together and show you what he does....hope he gets better quickly...for both of your sakes!
Post a Comment