Monday, August 04, 2008

Another cabin update

Is this one of those things that is interesting to me because I am in the middle of it and everyone else is like "Just let us know when the cabin is finished so we can use it"? I know a few of you are interested though, so this is for you. Anyway, here's a new update, and it's a fun one! They are pouring the footings today at 11 and the piers tomorrow morning. Our builder just told us he's ordered the log siding (yikes, I guess that means we're going with the expensive stuff), the lumber for the framing which will be delivered today at one, the electrician is coming at 11:30 today to install the service pole, and he is ordering the windows today. We had to choose a color for the windows. The choices were white, almond, and desert sand. Although I love the brightness and cleanness of white window frames, I am afraid if we got that for the cabin they would stay anything but bright and clean. So, we went with desert sand, which is pretty much what it sounds like--a taupish color. Our builder has good taste and he said he liked that color too. About the exterior of the cabin...we had a discussion while we were at camp about what to put on the outside of the place. Our options were cedar shingle siding which isn't my favorite, and I think it's more expensive than the log, so that was out pretty quickly. Which left us with two options (because we're not Bill Gates and couldn't do real logs): log siding where each piece is a 2x8 piece of wood, rounded into a D (it's real wood) and the flat part goes up against the building so it looks like real logs, and siding sheets, which is about half the cost, but not my cup of tea, and from the buildings that have that at camp, looks like it deteriorates rather quickly from rain. Anyone who has seen the new dining hall renovation exterior has seen what we chose, and you can stain it any color. So I held out for the more expensive exterior that I believe will hold up better over the long run, AND I don't want to spend all this money on building a cabin and cringe every time we drive up to it because I don't like the way it looks outside. So we picked the log siding.

Our builder also said that he talked to our neighbor again about sharing his well, and he said it sounds like it's a done deal. Also mentioned what it was going to cost us, which is significantly less than what we would be spending on drilling our own well if it had come to that.

That's about it for now. In a few weeks, when we go up there, I will take plenty of pictures to show the progress. Sounds like I will actually have a building to photograph!

3 comments:

davemaz said...

Wow! After the bureaucratic prologue, this is really rushing through the details! Want to have Thanksgiving at your place?

Denise said...

Love the updates. Keep 'em coming.

The Montandon's said...

I'm ceriainly glad I don't have to make all those decisions. We'll just come up an visit.

Dad