Monday, April 21, 2008

Bringin' in the big guns

APHIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!
or at least thats what i think they are. They look kind of like whiteflies and kinda like aphids and not exactly like anything i know, but I do know that they have obliterated all of my cucumber plants. One of them was beautiful and strong yesterday evening and this morning it was like the plant had never been there. Dry, crispy, and with a thousand tiny little holes in its little cotelydon leaves where they had sucked all of its juices out. My broccoli has been under attack but has held strong so far. I have found little nests of these things in the ground of my garden and rose bed. But now i am bringing in the organic big guns.....thats right: LADYBUGS. the aphids natural enemy. I went to a nursery to day and bought several butterfly flowers. they attract ladybugs. In fact, there was a ladybug all ready on one of the plants i bought and another landed on me while i was carrying it around in the nursery. I also bought two scented geraniums (aka citronella) and planted them in my garden as well. When I start earning some money I can buy more plants, and maybe some ladybugs if need be, but this should get me started. Anyway, this is a great test of patience for me. enjoy the pics.


butterfly





geranium







5 comments:

Denise said...

I figured you would fight bugs the green way and no pesticides. Your grandmother used to put DDT "alternative" (brand name Dieldrin before they banned it)in a nylon stocking and dust squash plants for squash bugs. She said she would be covered with the stuff. Turned out that Dieldrin was a persistent organic pollutant, and linked to, among other things, Parkinson's Disease and nervous system damage. Hooray for the ladybugs and geraniums.

Lesley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lesley said...

yeah...i'd rather not eat pesticides in my veggies
--chad

The Montandon's said...

Marigolds will help keep insects away. You'll know why when you smell them.

Lesley said...

This is really Lesley. Chad has hijacked my identity lately on the blog. I want to say Chad bought some marigolds, or said he was going to buy some. I am glad I have Chad around to take care of all this stuff.