I don't remember when the last time was that I was the (lone) sponsor of 4 teenage girls for 4 days, but that was how it was this past weekend. I took my 4 2009 yearbook editors to a convention in Austin at UT, and we went a day early so we could get some planning done and of course go shopping and have enough time to eat at all my favorite Austin restaurants. Times like this are why I became a yearbook adviser. We had such a fun weekend. Our first stop on the way down was the side of the road. I kept pulling over to see if the patches of bluebonnets were enough to take pictures in. I hadn't really put a lot of thought into this, but I've realized lately that wildflowers don't really exist in west Texas. Growing up in Austin all my life, I just figured everywhere in Texas had the things. Anyway, most of these girls had never had their picture taken in bluebonnets before. Imagine how scandalized I was that you can call yourself a Texan and your parents never forced you to take cheesy bluebonnet pictures before! So, we did it. They were a little skeptical at first, but I think you can see that they turned out well. I even turned on the self-timer and put myself in one. Even with stopping to take pictures in the bluebonnets, it only took us 6 hours to get to Austin. Friday we spent the day just hanging out, Saturday was the convention at UT, and Sunday was the drive home. By the end of the weekend all four girls were just as excited about "everything yearbook" as I am all the time. I love my job!

Yes, they really were laughing this hard.

Good ol' Texas.
2 comments:
I miss working with high schoolers....you look the same age as all of them!
Wish you'd given me a call! I'd love to have joined you for lunch, but I suspect you were more than a little busy . . . Great job!
Love,
Dad
Post a Comment