This is probably a normal thing, but I find that the older I get, the more interested I am in family heirlooms. This past week when we were at mom's house we went through a box of old quit tops that my great-grandmother Josie had done but never made into quilts. Mom wanted to know if Erin or I would like any of them. As ugly as some of them were (a lot of them were done in the '60s and the fabric reflected the garish styles of that decade), we hated to say no because a family member had made them. Anyway, I ended up with one and Erin decided to take the rest of the box.
Speaking of heirlooms, I received a gift for Christmas that is very special to me. Over the past few years, my mom, who would not fancy herself a scrapbooker, has spent a good amount of her free time (remember, she WAS working full-time until July and also taking care of my grandparents, just so there's no mistake that she had lots of free time) compiling scrapbooks of my life until I graduated from high school. She completed these scrapbooks and this was my main Christmas gift from her this year. It's so neat to have all of these memories compiled in scrapbooks so I can look at them whenever and be able to show them to my kids someday. They are also full of my mom's funny comments that only she could have said. Mom did a good job of taking separate pictures of me when I was a kid and I'm thankful that she did the scrapbooks that are just for me (she did the same for Erin a few years back). Anyway, her gift was definitely the most special gift I received this year and I am very thankful for it.
Also on the subject of inheritance, I have decided on my New Year's resolution for 2008. Many of you know that I get stressed/worried quite a bit, and this can be traced directly back in my family tree to my maternal grandparents, but especially my granddad. Anyway, that's not an excuse and I know that worrying is also a sin, so my resolution for 2008 is that when I start to get worried, to stop it and put all my burdens on God and have faith that he is going to take care of the situation and me. So there it is, I've gotten it out in the open so now I can't go back on it.
Happy New Year everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
way to go denise. That is wonderful and ya'll know how i feel about scrapbooks....nothing more important than those sweet memories preserved. good luck with the not worrying. Every time I try worrying, God reminds me with his humor just how not in control I am!
Post a Comment