This has been a fun week in the world of high school journalism advising. At first I was a little anxious because our first newspaper is about to go to print, and anything that goes to print is completely scrutnized by every teacher, administrator, superintendent and school board member that is employed by a school district...and that's all on me (Can I get a holla from the other Journalism advisers out there? anybody...anybody...Bueller...Bueller?) Anyway, before I get too off topic, we have something called "prior review" at our school, which is basically a court case precedent that says the administrator of a school-sponsored paper has the legal right to review everything we print before it goes to press. That would be Hazelwood vs. Kuhlmeier if anyone wants to Google it. While my students sometimes see this as a bit repressive and somewhat censoring, I see it as a wonderful way to cover my butt if anything comes up later as questionable. So my point is that my principal looked over our stories, we had to change wording on a couple of things, but other than that, we're good to go! I can't wait to see the first issue of the first newspaper I advised. If I was a scrapbooker, that would be something that would definitely go in there. But since I just stick all my keepsakes in my yearbooks from teaching, that's where it will go. Cool.
THEN today we got those cameras that I ordered. Since we're in the middle of final edits and layout for the paper, I didn't have a ton of time to look at the cameras, but I did have enough time to realize that they are totally sweet. It will be fun to give my students that much more ownership of the newspaper and yearbook, and to finally assign staff photographers, especially as the program builds more. Double cool.
ALSO today some electricians came in and installed some power poles in my lab. This is a boring story, but I've had 8 brand new Dells just sitting in the yearbook lab because we didn't have a way to plug them in and hook them up to the network. Well now that the power poles are installed, we can put in ethernet drops (did I say "we"? I meant the IT people) and hook up the computers. This is perfect timing because the yearbook kids are just about to need those computers to start working on pages.
Finally, my newspaper trip to San Antonio has been finalized for the end of October. I'm taking 4 kids and 2 other parents. I think I am more excited than the kids. A weekend in San Antonio, a day off school, a trip to Sea World, and a Journalism convention...what could possibly be more fun than that?
I forgot to update after this past weekend. Nothing really happened, but mom visited, and we went and bought fabric for the curtains in the front guest bedroom. I found a nice red fabric that matches the quilt perfectly, and we busted out my sewing machine that I've had for a year and never used, and we sewed the curtains. I really like the way they turned out...they aren't anything fancy, just panels, and I bought some cream colored ribbon to gather them to let some light in the room. I'm not going to post a picture right now because I'm lazy, but you guys probably don't really care anyway. Chad had to work on Sunday and mom and I went to Jason's Deli for lunch. Right next to Jason's is a Cheddar's and when we got there there was an ambulance and fire truck parked in front of Cheddar's. Out of curiosity I ran over to see if Chad was working the call, and sure enough, he was! He was performing CPR and I ran over to him, put my arm around him, and took a picture with my camera phone. Okay, none of that stuff in the last sentence was true, but wouldn't that be funny? Anyway, I waved, he waved (he was moving the ambulance), and I went back over to Jason's. Some guy asked me what happened and I said, "I don't know, I just wanted to see if it was my husband in the ambulance." Good story, huh?
Other stuff: I joined a volleyball team with some people at church. Chad will be subbing in, since his schedule won't allow for him to be there every week. We went up to church and played for a couple hours last night, and I am sore today. Sad, huh? Well, I figured this weekly volleyball playing would give me a reason that I had to go exercise every week. Should be fun.
That's it for now. Is anybody still awake after reading this post?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I hate to sound like Mom, but everything is interesting to me. Thanks for the detailed update.
I thought it was all interesting too. I even liked the school law part. That was nice to see your husband saving lives, or moving the ambulance - whichever.
I also enjoy every little thing you write. I hang on every word! That would have been funny if you had taken a pic with Chad as he is saving a life. Maybe not to anyone else, but to me. I know that the newspaper will be great. I have already decided that we want you to help direct Riley's creative writing skills. She comes up with the greatest stories and someday you will help her become FAMOUS.
I'M AWAKE! And it's 1:45 in the afternoon which is usually when I pull out the tooth picks and stick then under each eye to keep my eyelids open! Your life isn't boring! The way you write keeps it interesting. Also, when will ya'll be in San Antonio...maybe me and the girls and maybe Shawn can come down and see you??? (if schedule allows for you?)
Lesley, keep the long "boring" posts coming. (Those quotations marks were not unnecessary). And, Erin, sorry your fears have been realized. :-)
OK - my turn. We all think our lives are boring, but I enjoy all the experiences. These are never things we talk about, and I'm pretty interested (maybe because MY life is so boring). Anyway, the trip to Washington is off, so we'll be here. And PLEASE, Emma - we'd love to have you stay with us if you come down. We offered to Lesley, but she said the school system was putting her up on the Riverwalk, and where would you rather stay - the Riverwalk for free, or your Dad's for free. We have an enormous amount of room, and toys -
Post a Comment