Saturday, September 15, 2007

Weekend update

Well, let me first start off by saying we wish we were in Georgetown right now to see Shawn & Emma's house and celebrate Ava's first birthday, but that just ain't happening this weekend. Chad has his first official 24-hour shift today (good news: he's done with the training classes), so our schedule of being able to go out of town now officially revolves around the 24-48 schedule.

I had a good week at school. I am feeling more settled in and got to order my first batch of cameras...yippee! They are much nicer than the camera I own and I think the kids will be excited to get to be the first to use these brand new cameras. I also have a yearbook adviser's workshop on Monday at LCU so that should be a fun break from my routine.

Today will be busy. Since Chad started back to work (and I have been slacking for about a month now), our house is pretty much chaos. We are still in the "moving-in" mode which means we don't really put anything up, so I am devoting today to cleaning the house, putting stuff up in its proper place, finishing stripping the wallpaper in the front guest bedroom (it's just a border, so you'd think it would be easy, but it's not which is why I only did half of it last week), buying new hardware for all the bathroom and kitchen cabinets (I'm tired of looking at all that "bling"), and maybe starting on painting our bedroom. Now that I look at all this it sounds like a lot, so I probably won't do it all. After all, it is the weekend.

Yesterday Chad and I switched cars so he could go get my car inspected and registered. I love paying the state of Texas $400 for the privilege of driving two cars here. But seriously, I am excited to get Texas license plates back on my car, except for the fact that when you buy a car in Arizona there is no easy way to get a front license plate on when you move to another state because you don't have a front license plate in Arizona. So another thing I need to add to my list today is trying to figure out how to attach a license plate without having to completely drill holes through my front bumper. I think that's a job for the guys at Autozone or whatever they have here. I still remember when we put Arizona license plates on our car over two years ago. It felt so permanent. We had to go in two separate shifts because it took so long to get one car registered (seriously, like 4 hours) so I went back a different day and registered the Civic, and I kid you not, when I took off my old Texas license plates, I seriously cried. I felt like I was leaving Texas and never coming back. I guess that's what two years feels like at the head end of it. But in my defense, at the time we thought it was going to take Chad three years to finish school, and we also thought we'd be staying out west. That was before we looked at the price of a normal house. Anyway, all this to say it all worked out for the best and I'm glad to have Texas plates again.

Well, I better go. At 10 I have to go take an Excel Intermediate computer-based test for a competency I have to pass in order to write the grant for the rest of my cameras. There are all these classes I have to take and tests I have to pass, and the Excel test is the only one I haven't passed. I've taken it already, I just failed it the first time. You have to get an 80 and I got a 60, which by the way is passing in Arizona. Ugh! Stupid high standards!

4 comments:

The Montandon's said...

Sorry you didn't get to go to Ava's BD. I'm also glad you got to pay $400 for driving 2 cars in TX. That means you are back home. We look forward to coming to Lubbock soon.
Dad

Emily said...

I am glad you guys are back in TX, but thanks for living in AZ so I could see that part of the country.

erin said...

Thanks for the update. And you know in Texas, only the best for our schoolchildren. After all, there are so many people who want to be teachers they have to turn them away.

davemaz said...

That's interesting - I didn't know you had plans to stay out there. And I was pretty sad just to see you move. (and yes, I DID plan to come back to Tejas!). I'm so glad you are back. Love, Dad