Thursday, September 20, 2007

Tired and busy

Those are the two words that would best describe Chad and me over the last couple weeks. Chad's new job is in full swing, and who can blame the guy for coming home and settling in for a nice nap after a 24-hour shift. This week I only had one training for work in the evening (whereas last week I had two, and open house...and this training was to get my district-issued laptop so it was kind of fun), but it still seems like we are pretty busy when we're not at work. We were really gung-ho about all the home improvements when we first moved in, but if you have ever bought a house before you know that that can get really old when there is something you need to do in pretty much every room. I soon discovered that the actual time it takes to complete a task is much longer than the time I think it's going to take me to complete the task. In other words, "Oh, all we need to do in this room is strip the wallpaper, take down and paint the cabinets, texture the walls and repaint, and replace the hardware on the cabinets" sounds pretty simple, but it has taken us the good part of 3 weeks off and on to do all that stuff. We've been trying to do all the little odds and ends to get our house put back together, and we are down to 2 1/2 rooms left to paint. I say 1/2 because I painted our bedroom last night but it needs another coat, which will probably get done tomorrow. It's amazing that our bedroom even got painted because the other day Chad had the audacity to tell me that I am not good at painting. Duh, because I secretly act like I'm no good at it so he'll say, "Here, I'll just do it myself." Anyway, our bedroom looks good so far if I do say so myself. Chad has been retiling/grouting our shower and bathroom so I'll be sure to get pictures of all that soon. This weekend dad is coming up to bring us some more furniture...a couch, chair and ottoman, so I think our furniture collection will finally be complete. Because of the generosity of our family (or eagerness to get rid of all their extra stuff?) we haven't had to buy a single new piece of furniture to fill the rooms of our house. What a blessing! Anyway, speaking of dad coming, I had this idea that I wanted to get his room painted before he came to stay. Well, that didn't happen, and now I'm enacting a new rule at the Montandon household: if you'd like to stay in a room at our house, you have to paint it first. Not really, but seriously dad, bring your paint clothes this weekend. It'll be a blast!

I'm sure those of you who read the blog were not really interested in the minutiae of our home redecorating, except for maybe my mom and sister. But, that's what we've been up to, so that's the update you're getting.



Happy birthday to Kellen who turns three in a couple days...










And Ava who turned one a week ago.

7 comments:

erin said...

Aunt Lesley, could you please post a picture of me with my eyes open? Oh, and I'd love to help with the painting. Love, Kellen

erin said...

It took Kellen forever to type that. We've saved working on keyboarding until after his third birthday. I can't wait to see the pictures. And acting incompetent so you don't have to do something is not just a useful skill, it's a way of life. Ask untold numbers of dads out there (not Josh, of course).

Denise said...

I want to sleep on the couch. Do I have to paint the living room?

emma said...

If I paint a room it might just turn out looking like my girls' bathroom...but I've really always wanted to do a mural in a house....hmmmm. Can't wait to come stay with you one day! :)

The Montandon's said...

We are planning to come up Oct. 3 for a few days. I might paint and I might be willing to do other things.

Dad

Emily said...

I don't plan on coming to stay until the house is finished being redecorated and such. I am not so great at painting either so Joey usually takes over!

davemaz said...

I think there's a natural law about everything taking longer than you think. Kind of like's the Relativity thing - you know, mass grows to infinity the closer it an object gets to the speed of light. This one, though, has more practical application - most of us would just never start a job if we knew what it was gonna take to get to the end. Love, Dad