Sunday, November 26, 2006

Our Thanksgiving

Hey guys, well I'm not able to post any recent pictures quite yet, but it is coming. It would take too long to explain why. Anyway, we had a good Thanksgiving break. Tuesday afternoon right after school/work we left for Vegas and were there until Thursday. We had fun seeing the sights and eating at bad buffets. The Vegas buffets were definitely an experience unlike any other. If you have never been to one, let me explain it for you. First, you stand in a line to pay just like any other all-you-can eat place like Gattitown or Golden Corral. Then, after you pay, you are herded (and I'm not using this word by accident) into 2 other lines, for optimal crowd control. After a table comes open (even if there are numerous tables open), the host comes to you and lets you through the rope barrier (picture an exclusive night club, only not exclusive and not at night). He leads you to your table (surrounded by many other empty tables) and says "everything is self-serve," as if previous customers have made the mistake of thinking that all those people standing in line at the buffet were waiters getting the food that the diners had custom-ordered. Anyway, it was a funny experience. Other lessons learned in Vegas:

1. Be alert. You may be walking down the street, trusting the people in front of you to continue walking as well, when they stop abruptly to read a map or talk on the phone, not realizing that other people exist on the sidewalk as well.

2. Vegas is not a place for children's eyes. Lots of other people did not seem to think this was the case.

3. It's possible to be very sore simply from walking on a fairly level street for a good amount of time, if you did not plan ahead and wear the right footwear.

So Thursday we got back home in time to have Thanksgiving dinner at some friends' house. The food was great, but it was even better that we didn't have to come home and cook and clean. Friday Chad had to work a 12 hour shift, so I was left to my own devices and decided to take a stroll around some of the shopping places. I got some Christmas decorations and a couple of other things and put up our Christmas tree on Friday as well. The local mall on the busiest shopping day of the year reminded me of other malls on regular days of the year. This makes sense, given that our mall is usually quite deserted. Friday I also watched the Aggies beat the Longhorns, which was pretty exciting 1. because they were actually showing an A&M game on a network in Arizona, and 2. because the Aggies haven't beat the Longhorns since before I became a student at A&M. I wish Colt McCoy hadn't gotten hurt in the process.

Chad is at work again today and I am about to leave for church. By the way, we didn't get any pictures in Vegas so the ones I post will be when I played victim and a couple ones from a hike we went on yesterday when we took a wrong turn.

4 comments:

emma said...

wow what an adventure! I love the way you described vegas...very funny! you should have posted the victim pics as your time in vegas....would have been funny!

Emily said...

Where are the pictures?

Emily said...

there's actually a few good buffets. myabe dad will take us to one. but most of them are definetly quantity oriented.

emma said...

I am trying my best to be patient, BUT I NEED TO SEE SOME PICTURES!!!
Shawn