Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mountains green, sparkling streams

We've been home for a few weeks now and this is the first time I've been able to sit down and post some pictures from another wonderful summer in the mountains. The cool air and beautiful scenery are great, but there is so much more to being at Blue Haven. The people there are our second family, and knowing that our kids get to grow up around them is such a blessing.  

Sweet Ivy accomplished a few milestones while there--one of them being trying solid food for the first time. Sweet potatoes--I think she liked it!

Sweet expression on a sweet boy--I think this is chocolate all over his face from one of Jennifer's creations.
One of the highlights of our summer is when grandparents come to visit. Gramme came for a whole week! All the kids love her--they fight for her attention.
This picture made me laugh because Ezra is too busy telling Ivy to look at the camera (which she is already doing) to look at the camera himself. I can see from this picture how much Ivy grew and changed during the summer; this is from when we first got there.
Ezra and his buddy Sandy (Michael and Jan's dog)


What little boy doesn't love to catch lizards?
We took Ezra fishing for the first time, and sadly did not catch anything. Mom, you are going to need to start stocking your tank so we can fish at your house!
One big happy family--All the Montandon siblings, their spouses, and some of the kids (missing Ezra and Lucy) at the 4th session "Redneck Reunion." What a fun theme!
Typical outfit Ezra would pick out for himself on any given day
And another typical outfit
Ezra LOVED Matt. Ezra was a tough nut to crack this summer. He was shy and at times not so friendly to the large numbers of people in his face all the time. Matt made it his goal that he was going to win Ezra over, and he did pretty early on. I think with a cookie or some candy or something like that. They were fast friends. Thank you Matt and all the other staff for loving my children and taking the time to win their affection. (I am tearing up as I wrote that!)
This is not such a flattering picture of me, but I love it of Ezra. This was a typical morning in our cabin. Ivy would wake up in the middle of the night to eat, and so I was trying to get some extra sleep when Ezra would wake up bright eyed and bushy-tailed. This particular morning he climbed into bed and was laying next to me so sweetly. I cherish moments like this with my usually rambunctious boy. (I really was asleep in this picture--Chad captured the moment)
Mom, don't look at this one. This was the first of many accidents that happened over the summer. Some of our awesome first session teachers bought a couple of really nice playscapes to put around camp. Well, the first one was up less than a couple hours before Ezra walked right in front of another kid swinging and got kicked in the face. Poor baby. In all, he had this accident, fell numerous times, a bee sting on his ear, pink eye, a virus with fever that lasted a week, fell off his bike and hit his head, fell off a folding chair which clocked him in the face and gave him a couple black eyes, and got bit on the finger by a squirrel. Yes, a squirrel. It had been caught in a live trap and Ezra stuck his finger in and he had to be on antibiotics for a week. No wonder he was glad to be home!
This is Ezra's room. This year they built a little room for him with a door. What a nice addition to our cabin this was! I didn't have to worry about keeping his toys all picked up, and he stayed asleep when Ivy cried. They also gave us a bathtub this year. Soooo much better than the single stall shower that leaked every time we showered! And we could bathe the kids in our own cabin!
Another one of Ezra and Ivy's special friends, Dayton. She was dishroom manager and helped us out with the kids a lot. We miss you, Dayton!
This picture makes me laugh. I can still remember Ezra saying "No more pictures" as he held up his hand.
I was trying to get a picture of his pinkeye--the first time in three years that he's had it. It eventually cleared up then went to the other eye. You can also see the remnants of the bruise on his nose from the folding chair hitting it.
Playing with gramme and some cousins
Crazy haired baby in her bumbo.
Family pic
Silly songs--Ezra loved silly songs! Every first night of a session we have silly songs and staff introductions. Some of Ezra's favorite songs were "Way up in the sky," "Little cabin in the woods" and the Zulu Warrior song. He will still sing these or request them at bedtime every once in a while.
So cool in his shades and rainboots
Hanging out on the nurse's porch. I think we might have a picture very similar to this of Chad and Elle when we were nurse for a session about 6 years ago. That would have made Elle a little over 2 years old.
Ezra and another one of his buddies, Jenny. Jenny was a cook and Ezra would often want to go over to the "cooking store" to play with their toys. Jenny, we miss you too!
Aunt Erin & Uncle Josh came to visit. These are my sister's and my kids. Ezra and Ivy had fun playing with all their cousins this summer.
Dad came to visit for two weeks and brought his dog, Augie. Augie enjoyed being in the great outdoors.
Mackenzie, Kellen, Josh, Bonnie, Dad, Ezra, me, Chad, Ivy, Erin and Noelle
Kellen and Ivy (trying to get Kellen's sucker). All the older cousins loved holding Ivy
Erin & me with dad
At a campfire together...we love wearing jackets and having fires in the middle of summer!

People asked me if it was hard having two little ones up there. Yes, it was hard, but because of the ages of the two kids this year I think it was easier than it has been with just Ezra in years past (10 months and 22 months). I think next year keeping up with Ivy will be a challenge--she'll be about 16 months old and Ezra will be wanting to run all over the place. But we are so thankful for the opportunity to minister at Blue Haven and our prayer is that we will be able to be there for as long as we are effective. 

May his love from above bless Blue Haven forever!

4 comments:

davemaz said...

Thanks for a great post! Wish you hadn't reminded me about the squirrel.

Denise said...

I didn't avert my eyes soon enough. I'm going to pretend that all that blood was just ketchup or jello or something. Loved the post.

Unknown said...

Dad, I think we are out of the incubation period for rabies.

Unknown said...

Dad, I think we are out of the incubation period for rabies.