Time for a new edition of my favorite baby things since 3 more months have passed. See this post for the first edition. I still love and use all that stuff with the exception of the Kiddopotamus swaddleme. We stopped swaddling Ezra at just shy of 3 months old. So here are a few more of our favorite things that we have started using in the past 3 months...
1. Baby Trend Walker We put Ezra in this all the time and he really likes it. He isn't quite strong enough to roll around, and he's not completely sitting up on his own yet, so this is a great toy to allow him to sit up and play so he's not laying down all the time. The toy bar across the front is great to hook toys onto, and he LOVES the two bears on the sides of the toy bar. I have seen some very expensive walkers. Don't waste your money. This one is less than $40 and works just as well for the few months you will be using it before your kiddo starts walking. It also folds down and we take it anytime we go out of town.
2. Praise Baby CDs and DVDs...the CDs are great for playing when we are on the road and trying to get Ezra to take a nap. I am not a huge fan of the "kids' songs" CDs, especially with the annoying songs that get stuck in your head, so I like these because they are just the songs we sing in church. We have 2 CDs and one DVD. The DVD is kind of like Baby Einstein in that it shows other babies, objects, nature scenes, etc., but the background is praise music. If I need to cook dinner or get a chore done, I just put Ezra in his walker and pop the DVD in and it's a great distractor for him.
3. Kiddopotamus posh pouch carseat/stroller cover...I use this in place of a blanket over the jogging stroller when I take Ezra out in cold weather. It is awesome and another use for it is that it serves to block the sun when the visor on the stroller doesn't. I don't think it's available on Amazon anymore, but if you can find it somewhere, get one. Another great feature is that it keeps in pacifiers/other blankets/toys inside the stroller if Ezra drops them.
4. Speaking of strollers...I have started using the Evenflo umbrella stroller for short outings with Ezra when I don't need to store a lot of stuff and when I don't need him to take a nap. I couldn't find the exact stroller I have, but it was around $40 and I love it. We have three strollers: the Graco one that the carseat snaps into, the Kolcraft jogging stroller, and the Evenflo. I use all of them on a regular basis. I know it seems excessive to have three strollers, but they all have a completely different purpose and the most important thing is that all of them get used, often.
5. Grandma's secret spot remover...this stuff is awesome. It takes all those nasty baby stains out of clothing. You can get it at Bed, Bath and Beyond or buy it online.
6. Dr. Brown's bottles...these are the only kinds of bottles we use, and I've never really used another kind so I can't speak about them, but these don't leak, and Ezra doesn't have a problem with really bad gas bubbles.
I've also been thinking lately that I wanted to put together a list of clothing essentials for a baby boy. I had no idea how many onesies, pants, shoes, etc. I would need for a baby boy, so I really overbought before Ezra was born. The result was a ton of clothes, many of which he never wore or maybe wore once. So, here is my list of things I think are essential for an infant boy. I should also say that I thought I would put Ezra in the impractical clothes a lot more than I actually do, because let's face it, most days we are just home and he will end up getting slobber all over it anyway. Another thing that didn't occur to me was that I would be doing laundry a lot more. I do a load of laundry every 3 or 4 days at least, so Ezra's clothes get washed often and he really ends up wearing my favorite things over and over again, and a lot of stuff doesn't get touched. Also, I have learned not to buy way ahead of time. I also recently discovered Once Upon a Child and will be purchasing most of his clothes there from now on. Babies grow so quickly that it is silly to spend a ton of money on their clothes. So here's my list...obviously in the winter you would need more long-sleeved stuff and outerwear, and vice versa for the summer.
Short-sleeved onesies: 7-8
Long-sleeved onesies for fall/winter: 5-6 (in different, solid colors: white, red, navy, brown, green)
"Nice" pants like jeans, cords, khakis: 3 pairs
"Athletic" pants (fleece, sweatpants, windsuit material): 3-4 pairs
Outerwear (zip-up hoodies are my favorite...easy to get on and off, and not too bulky for the carseat): 2 (or just 1 for summer)
Footed sleepers: 5-6. I use these all the time and sometimes I leave Ezra in them all day (he sleeps in them every night as well). My favorite brand of these is Carter's and a good price is around $6-$7.
Church outfits: 3 (I mostly just put Ezra in his "nice" pants and then a sweater or button-down shirt).
Socks: 6-7 pairs
Shoes: 2 pairs...one athletic and one nicer pair that he wears to church.
About the onesies...Ezra is in mostly 6-9 months for shirts now, and he tends to outgrow onesies really fast because he has a long torso. I've started to prefer just regular t-shirts for him, and that makes it easier for diaper changes as well. I think he'll get more wear out of the shirts that way.
Let me just say that I definitely realize that I'm obviously not an expert. I just hope that I can help someone who is expecting their first baby not feel so totally overwhelmed about all the things they think they need. Other moms (and dads) out there...anything you would add to this list?
I'm also thinking about a list of things that I thought I needed (and got) before Ezra was born that I really haven't ever used...things I think that parents can definitely live without. I'll get back to you on that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks Lesley!! These are the questions I've been asking myself... to no avail, obviously I'm new at this mommy thing :). I would love to see a list of things that you think aren't really worth getting. I feel like so much of the stuff I see is for convenience instead of necessity. I'm sure I will appreciate many of those conveniences but there's just so much! anyway, this helps me!
Praise Baby is the best! Some days that is how I take my shower. All of my kids love it!
Post a Comment