In the past few weeks I have noticed that all the trendsetters (cute little senior girls) are reusing footwear that my parents sported years ago. Now, I know most of you are aware that fashion tends to repeat itself every 30 years or so, but the trends that are becoming popular now are not necessarily ones I would pinpoint as being very popular 30 years ago or...well, ever really. You can read more about my parents' admitted lack of fashion sense (or maybe apathy) here. But alas, my parents apparently knew what they were doing when my dad began wearing "deck shoes" (Sperry Topsiders) and mom bought her first pair of Minnetonka moccasins (soft-soled, of course).
I'm not sure what to call this footwear phenomenon, but as I already told my mom, I will be truly worried when the teenage girls begin shopping at SAS. Ultimately, I think this is just more proof that comfort really is what matters most when it comes to choices of footwear. That, or the two folks that raised me have some type of sixth sense about what 18-year-old girls will think is cool 15 years from now.
Okay, so here is the evidence:

I took this shot at a signing last week of two of our students to college volleyball teams. These are the shoes that one of the girls was wearing. It's a bit blurry, but that's because I didn't want this girl thinking I was weird because I was taking a picture of her shoes. Yes, those are the exact pair of Minnetonka moccasins that my mom bought multiple pairs of over the past 15 years or so. And boy are they comfortable.
This picture was actually taken for the sole purpose of going on the fashion page of our yearbook. These are my editor's (another 18-year-old female) shoes.
So, there you have it. Even more proof that my parents (and my 2-year-old niece, apparently) have a unique sense of what is going to be the next hip thing.
1 comment:
Hope they don't discover SAS! That'll drive the price up to, oh, $59!! BTW, read Malcolm Gladwell and the resurgence of Hush-Puppy brands (The Tipping Point). That'll make you feel even more depressed.
Post a Comment