Wednesday, February 28, 2007

But I wanted to be Grammar Girl!

I found out in yesterday's Arizona Republic that there is a woman called Grammar Girl who does a Podcast about different grammar issues that is one of the most downloaded podcasts out there. This is unfair. I wanted to be Grammar Girl, and now I can't. See, the people around me (i.e., those of you who are reading this blog entry) do not want me to give my two cents about grammar all the time, especially when it concerns their own. So I had always held out hope that I could be the Suze Orman of grammar and have my own talk show or radio show so I could give grammar tips to people who actually wanted my input, and now that niche has been filled. I suppose I will continue to give my grammar input to those who have not solicited it from me...sorry guys.

I do recommend the website. Even if you don't have an iPod, you can read the podcasts on her site. You can also search for specific words if you have a grammar question. She covers stimulating subjects such as semicolons, who vs. whom, and hang vs. hanged (this post came after the execution of Saddam Hussein). I know my mom would agree with Grammar Girl's assessment of bad vs. badly. FASCINATING!

8 comments:

The Montandon's said...

I am so disappointed. I think you could put Suze to shame on a tv show.

emma said...

I am so with you Lesley. I don't know how I know grammar, but I can pick it out really fast when it's not being used properly. The worst in when they interview people off the street for news pieces. That was my motivation to my middle schoolers when I taught English.

Denise said...

You can be Spelling Girl. Lots of people need that, too.

emma said...

Lesley, I feel badly for you that you can't be Grammar Girl. Are you imagining me in the dark now? That's a great site.

Shawn

davemaz said...

Look, Roget didn't stop because everyone already knew one word to describe something. Isn't there another way you can achieve your life's dream (anonymously correcting the universe's grammar electronically?) without being limited to a single title? I never thought I'd see you give up this easily on achieving your dream . . .

davemaz said...

Note in postscript: BTW, I like having a grammarian (and a mathematician) in the family. I also like having my own consultant basketball coach and first aid guys. Lots of knowledge about lots of things.

BUT - I tried the link for bad vs badly and it didn't work. Can you help me out? Love, Dad

Lesley said...

Hey dad, nice to see you've made your bi-weekly pilgrimage to the blog. The link worked fine for me, so you might want to try it again.

davemaz said...

Hey, Lesley, after investing a copious amount of intellectual energy (or perhaps, anergy) into your dilemma, I believe I have a solution you'll enjoy. You could use your enjoyment of grammar, combined with your Southern origins, and create a really nice pun - by using the nom du plume Grammar Cracker. How about it?