In case everyone else in the world is not aware, we Texans believe Texas is better than any other state (all the Texans reading this right now are saying collectively, "Well, it IS."). I'm not sure why we think this way, and it might be hard for some Texans to admit this out loud, but most will display their pride, well, proudly. It's something that is ingrained in us from a young age, to see everyone else as somehow inferior because they are not from Texas. I am not making this up. Yesterday, as I was driving home from my mom's house, I saw this billboard on I-20: "The Texas capital building is 15 feet taller than the United States capital building in Washington, D.C. (smaller, more italicized font below it:) Texas. Our Texas." This reminded me of those really stupid bumper stickers that say "My kid can beat up your honor student." Anyway, apparently we now think we're better than the United States of America as a whole on the basis of our capitol being 15 feet taller. Honestly, sometimes I just don't understand thought processes. But if I was doing a master's thesis on sociology, it would be about Texans and our very large self-esteems about our state.
On a partially-related note, tax-free weekend in Texas is August 15-17. That's where you can save a bunch of money on clothes and the like (8.25% in our area. And did I just explain to everyone what tax-free weekend was as if no one had ever heard of it before? Sorry. I really don't think you live under a rock.), although you'd save even more money if you just stayed home and bought nothing. But that's boring. Anyway, I noticed on this site that Texas was the first of any state to implement a tax-free holiday. Just another example of our awesomeness. But then a bunch of other states had to come in and be better than Texas and make their tax-free holidays as many as 17 days. This includes the District of Columbia (you know, the place with the tiny capitol).
Come on, Texas. Time to step it up a notch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have to chime in here...everything you wrote is so perfectly true about Texas. I will say, my one complaint and I think many others will agree...Texas weather sucks. This heat is not awesome. Neither is winter which is pretty much a tease with nothing to show. Okay, that's my gripe but I'm still proud to be a Texan!
Post a Comment