Thursday, June 14, 2007

A bit philosophical, if you're in the mood for it

I have been thinking about this post since yesterday. There is a man who lives in my apartment complex who asks me how I am doing when I see him. I usually give a typical response: "Great," "Well," etc., and I return the question. The interesting thing is he gives these pessimistic responses such as, "I'm here," "Just another day in paradise" (sarcastically), and yesterday, "It's better now that it's over." His responses to this question have made me come to the conclusion that he is a negative person that is not a Christian. Now, you're probably thinking, "Lesley, that is very judgmental and presumptuous of you," and you'd be right in saying that, but that is not the point of this post. I don't know this guy, but I do know what he says when I ask him how he is doing, and that is the only impression I have of him. My own judgments about this guy got me thinking about how other people, even perfect strangers see me, which IS the point of this post. Do I have an all-around positive attitude and outlook that others can see in their brief interactions with me? Do I focus on the negative, watching the clock pass the hours, always waiting for the next thing? Do my outward actions reflect my inward Christianity? Although this guy has no idea, he has made me think a lot about my own attitude and how I want others to see me. Can people who don't know me tell that I am a Christian? I think about that a lot. Hopefully, by the way I treat people I come into contact with daily, they can see that my hope is in something greater than "the daily grind." Elsewhere in our complex, someone has painted on the side of a wall, "You are here now...enjoy it." Although I'm not a fan of the trashiness of this graffiti, I think about the message everytime I see it, and remind myself to be content and enjoy where I am. I feel for this guy who, apparently, is not enjoying where he is now or what he is doing, and I hope that no matter what I am doing, I am enjoying my life. And, at the risk of getting too existential with you, I will end my post.

2 comments:

emma said...

wow that was deep. I liked the graffiti quote...at least it was an unbeat quote and not one with lots of cuss words or a gang name.

Emily said...

I enjoyed the post and I try to be more positive and content with my life. I want people to see the joy that I have in my life, an not just when I am happy. I want to be truly joyful because I have hope. Just so you know,I don't think that you are a negative person.