Monday, September 11, 2006

Jury Duty

I was supposed to have jury duty tomorrow, but it got canceled. Truthfully, I'm kind of disappointed. Everyone else I know has been to jury duty, but since I was first summoned about a month ago, I still haven't been able to go. The first time was a summons for a grand jury but I would have had to miss every Friday for 4 months at work, and I couldn't do that, so they excused me. Then, not two weeks later, I got this summons. I called and found out today that this trial was canceled. So anyway, I guess I'm going back in the pool of potential jurors, waiting for my turn. Maybe I should just be glad I don't have to go, but I thought it would be kind of fun.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I agree. I think it would be fun to be in a jury only if it was a big case, but then it would be hard too. Maybe you will get a good one in the near future.

Lesley said...

Yeah...with all of the crime shows I watch I've always wanted to be on a jury where I really have to examine the evidence and solve the mystery, but then again, I don't like the idea of deciding someone's fate. And then there are all those juries that you see interviewed where they all say they thought the person was guilty, but they couldn't convict them because there wasn't enough evidence. I would hate that too.

davemaz said...

My jury experience was an architect suing a Baptist church for nonpayment of fees. "We couldn't collect enough" was the excuse. Then we spent almost a day hearing testimony on what a competent lawyer in Austin TX in 1978 gets paid for representing his client (to establish legal costs). Pretty boring except for those four guys with gold teeth in the front row in brightly colored suits who kept staring at the jurors. We called them The Deacons. Found for the architect.